This article assumes you already have a working 1.8+ Minecraft Server. If you do not know how to make a Minecraft server, take a look at this guide here. This article was written at the time of Beta 1.8 Pre-Release 2.
You have two options to enable creative mode for your SMP server.
If you want everyone to have access to creative mode:
- Open your server.properties file and change gamemode=0 to gamemode=1. where 0 is survival and 1 is creative.
- If you wish, you can also disable animals and monsters by setting spawn-animals=true to false and spawn-monsters=true to false.
- Save the file and run your server.
- Make sure you are the operator of the server by writing your in-game name in the ops.txt file in the root of your server. Then start the server.
- To change the gamemode for specific players, type into the chat “/gamemode PLAYERNAMEHERE 1″ without the quotes to enable creative for the player you specifiy. To disable creative mode for a player, type “/gamemode PLAYERNAMEHERE 0″ without the quotes.
- To fly in creative mode, double tap jump (default spacebar). Holding down space makes you rise and holding shift makes you descend.
- Right-click doors to open them without breaking them in creative mode.